SOUTH CENTRAL CONNECTICUT REGIONAL WATER AUTHORITY

JULY 27, 2023

MEETING TRANSCRIPTION

[RECORDING FOR FIRST MINUTE OF MEETING IS UNAVAILABLE, PLEASE REVIEW MEETING MINUTES FOR INFORMATION]

[PENSION & BENEFIT COMMITTEE MEETING FROM 12:32 P.M. TO 1:48 P.M.]

David:

Aye. So now we're back to my part. Consent agenda. What's your pleasure folks?

Catherine:

Mr. Chairman, I move approval of the consent agenda.

David:

All right, is there a second?

Mario:

Second.

David:

Is there any points of clarification or any you would wish to be removed? All right, since you're ready to vote, all those in favor signify by saying aye.

Board:

Aye.

David:

Passes with the unanimous vote. Authority committee chairs. I've talked to all of you about it individually, so this is no surprise and I'm very grateful. I really do think we have the right people that can bring a different perspective. And in some ways I think that's going to be helpful to some of these. So I think the changes will be positive. Personally, the most positive for me. We're losing people. I was taking over positions. But really I do think it's good to have everybody have one or two committees that they're chairing and use their expertise and other experiences here. And I think this does that.

Well, that's a discussion because yeah, I finally converted and I'm in favor of it. We will talk to the RPB over the next few months. That's what we say a month or so? We've got to be fairly soon because we want it to be in there, even though it's a short session we want to know by December if we're going to be going to legislature.

We also have to discuss, it's good you're bringing up and it's related, we also need to discuss if there are other items that we want or other items that the RPB would want, because we don't want to go to legislature very often. And maybe the one ministerial thing of changing five to seven is all we have. But we might collectively in RPB might have other topics. So I'm going to talk to the chairman of the RPB and ask him if he wants to get a group together from both sides. I think Kevin has already expressed interest

in reading that with them. He's got a great rapport with the RPB, so I think that will be great. Am I wrong, Kevin? You're still interested?

Kevin:

Yes. Thank you.

David:

Very good. All right. All right. So then we'll move, let's do two more things, then we'll take a break. I'm sensing some of that. So the RPB committee meetings, we're getting that up there now. We're in July, right?

Jennifer:

Yes.

David:

Okay, so Land Use. Catherine, were you able to go to that?

Catherine:

Yes. I did attend the Land Use committee. We met in a playground that was near Big Gulph, is that what they call it?

Larry:

Big Gulph. Yes.

Catherine:

Sorry, I'm reading my [inaudible 01:16:22] notes. I'll fall into safety moments. They approved the minutes. John Triana gave a really nice overview of the Big Gulph recreation area. There's 6.5 miles of hiking. He conducted a recent trail study back there, and this is a watershed area that diverts water into Lake Saltonstall. They have experience of trespassing with mountain bikes and ATVs in the area. And the interesting thing that everybody loved except me, is that this is a area where there's a huge security population that came out in 2013, and there will be another one in 2030 and be there. [inaudible 01:17:13] want those things. And also, one of the trails was named for Francis Merola, who was an early, if not a founding member of the RPB and a former member of this board.

Next, the committee considered enacted upon a recommendation to the RPB regarding the completeness, mode and date of public hearings for the application for disposition of two properties in North Branford.

Just a note that the public hearing on the land disposition will be in North Branford, which is a town where it's located. John Triana gave his usual comprehensive multi-page update on what's going on with respect to RWA properties. A couple highlights. Town attorney in Hamden suggested that the property at 233 Skiff Street, the condemnation should be without compensation. John Triana is rejecting that concept and [inaudible 01:18:30] renegotiating.

I also thought it was interesting that looking into collecting boat rental payments using credit cards at Lake Saltonstall, this process is under consideration, and there continue to be trespassing incidents at a number of locations. A member of the RPB expressed concern about the status of the police department

and expressed the concerns that it's moving too slowly. Peter Betkoski was reelected as the committee chair and the next meeting will be the 9th of August.

David:

All right. Very good. Thank you. Any questions? All right. We'll move on to Kevin. I know you were at the Finance Committee meeting the other day.

Kevin:

Yes, at the Finance Committee meeting there was a presentation on the quarterly financial report and year-end disposition for FY that ended May 31st. The RPB quarterly dashboard update was given. There was a lot of favorable conversation, comments, discussions, and questions. Nothing that stuck out in my mind to write a note about it. And then they elected a new committee chair. I don't know if the previous committee chair had maxed the time and chair requirement. The new committee chair is Vin Marino, and that was the extent of the meeting.

David:

Okay. Very good. All right, with that, Suzanne, I see you're back. Were you able to attend the Consumer Affairs Committee?

Jennifer:

We lost her.

David:

Oh, all right. Was that the meeting where they got their update? No, they had had it previously. Right?

Jennifer:

Yes.

David:

It wasn't the meeting they got their-

Jennifer:

No.

David:

No, that wasn't the previous meeting. I saw their agenda. I get them all. What was that?

Prem:

I can put a quick update if you want, Dave.

David:

All right. Just give us a quick rundown of what their meeting was like.

Prem:

Yeah, so we had a update on cybersecurity and governance. So very quickly, we reviewed some details on where we are in terms of our fishing campaign. There was some interesting questions that we had. Steve actually talked about a little bit on the camera's deployment, and we kind of answered the question on saying we are working through our fiscal '24 plan. So that was something good. Then we asked another question specific to some of the researching tools, especially the CIS project, and we had kind of talked to about that. It's part of our project, so it was a good thing that we kind of covered. And then we talked about Jeff's invoice very quickly. There were no questions, no escalations, so we just adjourned the meeting. So that's very high level.

David:

So no concerns, nothing of interest for us.

Jennifer:

Mark was elected.

David: Mark was elected chair, right? Yes.

Prem: That's right. Yes.

David:

Thank you. Okay. Very good. All right. Thank you, Prem. All right. With that, we see what our assignments are for August and going into September. So let's take a break now. Then we'll get into Larry's report. Is that all right? It's two o'clock. So let's take a 10-minute break. Stretch our legs and use the restroom.

[BREAK FROM 1:55 TO 2:10 P.M.]

David: All right, it's ten after on this clock. Are we all ready?

Catherine:

I am.

David: Kevin, are you there?

Kevin:

Yes, I'm here.

David:

Good. Okay. Suzanne's not able to connect. She texted me and texted Jennifer, and it's been unstable, so we're glad we got through her part well, and I'd like her to be part of the next Compensation Committee, but we'll deal with that. All right, so we'll move on. We're at the point of business updates, and Larry, I'll hand it to you and see how you want to do it.

Larry:

All right, thank you very much, and we'll have our normal update on the RWAY/CIS project. So Prem, I'll turn it over to you.

Prem:

Thank you, Larry. And again, good afternoon everyone. I have some great news to report on. We were actually able to complete our first phase, an analysis phase, of the project. We had a celebration. I know Larry had also covered in part of the board report. It was a great time. We had around 60 people, got together, celebrated our success on going through all of the processes that we had. So we had, just to give some numbers, 497, we call ADIs, processes that we went through, literally going through meter to cache process and everything else that touches it. Very high level. We also did what we call as the data loads. It's called ETL. Typically, what we see in the industry is that you start off with around 70, 75% on data being accurate for the first phase. That's like a sample data getting loaded into the new system and checking things.

So we have six of those loads that goes all the way through the project. We had the first one, we got 87% accuracy. That's like on a other chart, right, which is really good. It's also called as early indicators where we are trying to see, making sure that everything is coming and flowing through nicely. Again, thanks to leadership team here, we had a great celebration. We awarded some things for our team members and some good accomplishments there. So those are some big [inaudible 00:04:28] that happened more recently. In terms of the next steps, we are going through what we call as a closure of the analysis gap phase, where we look at all of the processes we reviewed, and what kind of gaps we have identified, and how we can manage those gaps as we go in, which is the next follow-up exercise that we'll do. The UMAX configuration.

Basically, UMAX configuration is the new system. We are configuring the new system. The base with the new design that they're going to put in place. So the team has been working on that. So nothing bad as of now. Nothing. No bumps in the road. We are on target in terms of scale and cost. The team is cruising through the project. So that is my update. I can take any questions.

David: Questions. Catherine: All good news. Prem:

Thank you so much.

David:

Larry.

Larry:

And I do not have any additions to the updated memo that I provided. So, unless there's any questions.

David:

All right, then we are ready to meet as the Compensation Committee. And since I chair that, I guess we just roll. We have to technically recess as the Authority and meet as the Compensation Committee. Who would like to move that?

Kevin:

So moved.

Mario:

Second.

David:

Moved by Kevin. Seconded by Mario. All those in favor signal by saying aye.

Board:

Aye.

[COMPENSATION COMMITTEE MEETS FROM 2:12 P.M. TO 4:03 P.M.]

David:

One last item. Thank you. Item I, act on matters arising from committee meetings. We have to approve the recommendation from the Pension Committee for the 10th and 11th Amendments [inaudible 00:00:26]. Who would like to move that we approve that?

Catherine:

Mr. Chairman, I move we approve resolution adopting 10th and 11th Amendments.

David:

Okay. Is there a second?

Mario:

Second.

David:

All right. Is there further discussion or questions? This is just to bring in the wealth services people. Okay. All right. Sensing you're ready to vote. All those in favor say aye.

Board:

Aye.

David:

Good. All right. Who would like to move to adjourn?

Kevin:

I moved to adjourn.

Mario:

Second.

David:

All right, we're adjourned. Unanimous. Thank you guys. This was a very important meeting. It was a good meeting.